Do you reclaim or reduce withholding tax on overseas dividends?
We don’t offer a foreign withholding tax reclaim service. However, to deal in North American investments, you have to complete a W-8BEN form (for US investments) and NR301 form (for Canadian investments). These forms allow you to benefit from the lower ‘treaty’ rate of withholding tax.
You don't need to complete either form if you hold your investments in an AJ Bell Youinvest SIPP. This is because when in a SIPP, US investments are automatically exempt from withholding tax and Canadian investments automatically benefit from a reduced withholding tax.
If you want to buy and sell US-listed investments within any account except a SIPP, you’ll need to complete a W-8BEN form. For most accounts, you can complete a W-8BEN form online. Just log in and click 'Update my details' from the 'My account' menu to find it. However, for a Junior account, Joint Dealing account, Bare Trust Dealing account or Dealing account for UK-registered pension schemes, you'll need to complete our offline W-8BEN form. Before getting started, please read the W-8BEN guidelines to help you complete the form correctly.
If you want to buy and sell Canadian investments within any account except a SIPP, you’ll need to complete an NR301 form. You can only complete an NR301 form offline. Before getting started, please read the NR301 guidelines to help you complete the form correctly.
- A share in my ISA is subject to a corporate action – are there any additional implications?
- What currency will my dividends be paid in?
- Can I withdraw the cash received from a corporate action?
- How do I respond to a corporate action?
- How do I receive new shares arising from a corporate action?
- What happens if I am late or do not respond to a corporate action?