I've been asked to send you documents - who can certify them?

If you've been asked to send us documents (e.g. to prove your identity), which need to be certified, they can be certified by the following people (as long as they are not family members). Generally the certifier will need to be currently in the listed occupation, but we'll accept some occupations if they've retired. These are marked by asterisks.

The certifier must:

  • Write ‘Certified by me’ on the document
  • Sign and date the document
  • Print their name under the signature
  • Add their occupation, address and/or telephone number
Actuary Magistrate*
Architect Marketing Manager (SMEI certified)
Airline Pilot* Individual with an MBE /OBE etc.*
Attorney Employee of Commonwealth*
Bank official* Member/Employee of Parliament*
Barrister* Merchant Navy Officer*
Building Society official* Minister of a Recognised Religion*
Chartered Accountant  Notary Public
Chartered Engineer (e.g. CEng)* Nurse/Midwife*
Chartered Insurance Broker* Officer of the Armed Services*
Chartered Master Mariner Optician*
Chartered Mechanical Engineer (e.g. MIMechE)* Optometrist
Chartered surveyor* Parish Councillor
Chief Executive Officer Pharmacist*
Chiropodist* Physiotherapist
Commissioner For Oaths*
Police Officer*
Councillor* Police Community Support Officer
Credit Analyst Post Office Official*
Credit Union official* Project Office Manager (APM registered) 
Dentist* Psychologist
Doctor / Medical Practitioner* Registered Social Worker*
FCA Registered Individual  School Bursar
Firefighter* Senior HR Manager
Funeral Director* Senior Non-Commissioned Officer of the RAF 
HR professional (if CIPD member) Software Engineer (CEng, CITP, MIET)*
Judge* Solicitor*
Justice of the Peace* Tax Adviser (CTA Qualified)
Lawyer* Teacher*
Lecturer* Verger
Licensee of Public House*
Local Government Officer*
Welfare Officer 

*Acceptable if the certifier has retired