magazine archive

Story In Numbers

Bookies hoping for World Cup betting bonanza

Thursday 21 Jun 2018

Bookmakers will be rubbing their hands in glee during the World Cup with thousands of punters likely to have a flutter on football’s blue ribbon tournament. Analysts at investment bank Berenberg calculate William Hill ( WMH ) earned a staggering 9.8% of its entire digital net sports betting revenue...

N Brown could slim down through store closures

Thursday 21 Jun 2018

In the financial year ended 3 March, less than 2% (£15m) of specialist fashion retailer N Brown’s ( BWNG ) £922.2m group revenue was generated from brick-and-mortar stores. It is therefore no big surprise that N Brown is thinking about closing its entire shop estate which consists of 20 small, loss...

Latest twist in Sky saga as Comcast hunts Fox

Thursday 21 Jun 2018

Just when you thought the bid situation around pay-TV firm Sky ( SKY ) could not get any more complicated, US media conglomerate Comcast has launched a $65bn rival bid to Disney for Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox. Fox currently owns 39% of Sky and was looking to acquire the remaining 61% stake...

Earnings upgrade joy for retailer Joules

Thursday 14 Jun 2018

Liberum Capital’s year to May 2018 pre-tax profit forecast for British lifestyle brand Joules ( JOUL:AIM ) is now 12% higher than a year ago. That is impressive given the inclement market conditions for most clothing retailers. Differentiated brand Joules is in an upgrades cycle. Following another...

Why UK construction figures are not as good as they look

Thursday 14 Jun 2018

The May purchasing managers’ index (PMI) IHS Markit survey on the UK construction sector showed a reading of 52.5 against expectations for 52, yet the commentary accompanying this headline did not present such a positive picture. Any figure above 50 implies expansion and anything below this level...

Trees, trees and more trees for takeover target Smurfit Kappa

Thursday 14 Jun 2018

Did you know that Europe’s largest paper and packaging firm Smurfit Kappa ( SKG ) owns more than 100,000 hectares of specially planted forest? That’s equivalent to 139,000 Wembley pitches, or 70,000 Lord’s Cricket Grounds. Those millions of trees are spread across forests in Colombia, Venezuela,...

Britain’s most prized brand Vodafone worth more than £21bn

Thursday 07 Jun 2018

Vodafone ( VOD ) is Britain’s most valuable brand beating off competition from the likes of HSBC ( HSBA ) , Sky ( SKY ) , Shell ( RDSB ) and T esco ( TSCO ) . The mobile phones giant’s name is worth a staggering $28.86bn, according to the latest polls by market researchers at WPP/Kantar Millward...

Grocers profit from some ‘Markle Sparkle’

Thursday 07 Jun 2018

On the Friday before the Royal Wedding and the FA Cup Final, the grocers’ tills turned over a princely £415m as supermarkets profited from hot weather and the ‘Meghan Markle effect’. This is on the say-so of Kantar Worldpanel, whose latest grocery share figures for the 12 weeks ending 20 May showed...

Canada retaliates to US tariffs with tax on surprising list of items

Thursday 07 Jun 2018

A trade war could be on horizon as allies of the US retaliate to tariffs imposed on steel and aluminium imports from 1 June. Among those affected is Canada, which slapped tariffs of 10% on a series of diverse items, including playing cards, inflatable boats, pizza, whiskey and candles – except...

Oil sector gushing with cash

Thursday 31 May 2018

Research by analysts at Barclays suggests the European integrated oil and gas space, which encompasses the likes of BP ( BP. ) and Royal Dutch Shell ( RDSB ) , is set to deliver excess free cash flow for the first time in 10 years. This follows a rapid advance for the oil price in recent months,...

Important information:

These articles are provided by Shares magazine which is published by AJ Bell Media, a part of AJ Bell. Shares is not written by AJ Bell Youinvest.

Shares is provided for your general information and use and is not a personal recommendation to invest. It is not intended to be relied upon by you in making or not making any investment decisions. The investments referred to in these articles will not be suitable for all investors. If in doubt please seek appropriate independent financial advice.

Investors acting on the information in these articles do so at their own risk and AJ Bell Media and its staff do not accept liability for losses suffered by investors as a result of their investment decisions.

The Shares team

Advertising feature

The value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you originally invested. We don't offer advice, so it's important you understand the risks, if you're unsure please consult a suitably qualified financial adviser. Tax treatment depends on your individual circumstances and rules may change. Past performance is not a guide to future performance and some investments need to be held for the long term.